Re: longlines-mode: font-lock fails (in outline-mode)

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: longlines-mode: font-lock fails (in outline-mode)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:46:44 -0400

    Oh, substitute "longlines-mode" for "log".
    If the above description is not enough to reproduce, do this:

    M-x outline-mode
    M-x longlines-mode

    enter this:

    *** bla bla bla blu blu blu er er er yeah yeah yeah wow wow wow yup
    yup yup see here it went black not so good

    Enter enough text for it to be wrapped around. The first line shown
    is in purple color, the next line is black, as are the following
    lines. Because it's still part of the headline, it should be purple
    as well. outline-mode should look for the hard end of the line, not
    the 'soft' or wrapped end.

Outline-mode specifies a regular expression which ends in `.+'.
There is no way in a regexp to specify only hard newlines.
But it is possible to call a function instead of using a regexp.
I think that makes it possible to do what you want.

Is there someone who understands font-lock better than I do
who could try to do this?

Another idea is to modify regexp matching so that `.' can match
a soft newline, when use of hard and soft newlines is enabled.
Since that would be done in parts of the code I understand,
I could implement it.  But what do people think of the idea?