Re: Scroll lock

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Scroll lock
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:54:27 +0200

* Richard M. Stallman (2005-06-30) writes:

> Your window.c change is simple enough that we could simply install it.
> So I did.

Thanks.  The change should be reflected in the documentation as well.
I attached patches for man/display.texi and lispref/windows.texi.
(Improvements of wording welcome.)

The description of `scroll-preserve-screen-position' in
man/display.texi is not 100% accurate because it tells you that the
vertical position of point is preserved when scrolling by full screens
while it is preserved with any scroll command which would move point
out of the window.  But maybe the description should stay like this in
order to avoid making it too complicated.

> The scroll-lock.el file is larger and would need legal papers.

I just sent a mail to the copyright clerk requesting a copyright
assignment for Emacs.

> I don't like the idea of using up C-x % for this, however.  If users
> really want a command to toggle this mode, I would not object, but I
> tend to think they won't want to toggle it that often.  I think
> they'd rather have this enabled in certain major modes.

Hm, I imagine that personally I'd want it to toggle interactively in
arbitrary modes as well.  For this, a key binding would be nice to
have.  But it probably would not be a problem to tell users that they
can define a key for it themselves.  I'll think about this and also
about if and how to handle it as a global or local minor mode ...

--
Ralf