Re: More bugs in Custom themes

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: More bugs in Custom themes
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:30:09 -0400

    First new bug.  After requiring a theme and then setting and saving
    some option through Custom, all my customizations for all options for
    which the theme specified a value were deleted.

Can you fix that?

    Second new bug: `custom-create-theme' can not handle variables with
    a defcustom that needs a :require and there are a lot of those.

Can you fix that one?

      Until things get fixed (if ever), I would make
    `custom-theme-directory' into a defvar instead of a defcustom, because
    we do not want to advertise a package with serious bugs.

No need.  We won't make the release before fixing this up.

This is an important feature.  We are not going to give up on it.
We're going to *fix it and make it work*, and then we will make
the release.

Please install your changes, except don't install this.

    ! *Please Note*: This buffer and the theme files written by it, as well as
    ! the entire Custom themes feature, are experimental.  They are currently
    ! only meant for use by developers who want to debug it.  The most serious
    ! known bug is that requiring a theme and then setting and saving some
option
    ! through Custom may erase part of your Custom file.  (It erases the options
    ! for which the theme specifies a value.)  Another, less serious bug is that
    ! the file created by this buffer will not work for options defined with
    ! a defcustom that uses :require.\n\n")