Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 11:31:46 +0100

On 30 Jun 2005, at 22:29, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

What is the difference between your report-emacs-bug-internally
function and the standard report-emacs-bug function?  Is it just that
some of the code has been moved into a subroutine
report-emacs-bug-print-debug-log?  That change would be fine to
install, and that might greatly reduce the amount of change.

Yes, that's right. The code has been refactored into the two subroutines
report-emacs-bug-print-preamble and report-emacs-bug-print-debug-log.

However, instead of adding this feature to emacsbug.el, can you make
sendmail.el send mail "externally" as an option?  That would be much
cleaner, wouldn't it?  And it would do more good.

I thought about this, but the thing is: the external bug reporting facility will run the mail client and cause it to start a new message editor. If we changed sendmail.el, we would present users with the internal editor first (for bug-reporting), then show them the same e- mail again in their external editor. That'd be confusing.

Yet, one could augment compose-mail to start the external agent. But I assume such changes would have knock-on effects that would be best considered after the release. Right?

I'm attaching the (revised) fix as a patch to emacsbug.el.