Re: Diff mode faces

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Diff mode faces
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 12:37:15 +0900

2005/7/2, Juri Linkov <address@hidden>:
> > The diff-mode colors on a dark-background terminal (gnome-terminal or
> > generic xterm) are:
> > These colors work very well and should not be changed
>
> Bold text is unreadable on terminals with small fonts.

I have not found this to be the case.

> The changed lines is the base text which users mostly read in the
> diff-mode, so it makes sense not to highlight it at all and to use the
> default foreground.  Most other modes do the same and don't highlight
> normal text.  As for the context lines, to distinguish them from the
> changed lines, dark-background terminals could use yellow-on-black,
> and light-background terminals - maybe, green.

No.

Indeed that's just stupid.  Making the context lines green or whatever
would make them stand out over the changed lines, which is _precisely
the opposite_ of what we want to do.

On a high-color display (like X11, usually), we can dim the context
lines, and so achieve our goal of making the changed lines stand out
while keeping them in the normal default face; the latter point,
however, is _not_ the main goal!  On a low-color terminal, we often
simply don't have the flexibility to do those two things at the same
time; in such a case, we must discard the less important guideline,
and pick something which at least makes the important lines stand out.
  The current dark-background colors achieve this, and should not be
changed.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.