Re: configure-more.zip

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: configure-more.zip
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:57:10 +0200

> Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:27:05 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>
> Since I once again missed that 'cvs update -kb' I decided to do
> something about it. I have attached a bat-file that checks for this and
> also for the existence of 'find' and 'xargs' which I believe also are
> needed to build Emacs.

<rant>
Why send it as a .zip file in a binary attachment, when all you want
to send is plain text for inclusion in configure.bat?
</rant>

> This runs under cmd.exe and it also seems to work under command.com.
>
> Could we please augment configure.bat with this? ;-)

Thanks.

I must say that I don't like this solution too much.  First, the
problems you are trying to solve are only relevant for people who
build CVS Emacs.  It is IMHO a bad idea to frighten users who are
building from a released tarball by warning them against non-existent
problems or asking them to install unneeded utilities.

Checking the line endings with "grep -P" is also less than ideal: some
users might have a Grep that is not recent enough to support -P, or
even a Grep that is not a GNU Grep.  AFAICS, we didn't even require to
have Grep installed until now.

Finally, I think the Windows build needs neither `find' nor `xargs'.
Can you tell where you saw them used?

Therefore, I suggest the following strategy for solving the -kb issue:
put a small C program into the nt subdirectory which would read
nt/configure.bat, nt/nmake.defs, and nt/makefile.w32-in in binary mode
and make sure they have the right line endings; if they don't, this
program would fail.  Then have this program invoked by "make bootstrap"
in the nt directory.

Would you like to implement this solution?