Re: More bugs in Custom themes

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: More bugs in Custom themes
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 21:15:17 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   This feature is already in Emacs, it is important, and I will not
   stand for giving up on it.  That is the wrong attitude.

I repeat: I do not suggest giving up on (proper) Themes support.  I
suggest putting it off until after the release.  Are those two equivalent?

   Would you please work on fixing this?

I already fixed six bugs and fixing some of them properly was actually
not as trivial as you suggested.  Four more would be ten.  But it does
not stop there.  As I already said, it makes no sense to fix 1001+
bugs only to create 1001+ others and I will not do that.  I have already
wasted enough time on the nonsense in custom.el.  The Themes code
needs to be rewritten using a proper conflict resolution algorithm and
a proper design.

   You have been doing great so far, whenever you decide to fix
   something rather than say it can't be done.

Just fixing bugs is not doing great if you keep discovering bugs at a
much faster rate than you can solve them and if the lack of design
guarantees the complete impossibility of ever getting the code close to
bugfree (unless it gets a proper design).

It is not very difficult to come up with a good conflict resolution
algorithm (I have outlined one), but it will take time to implement it.

Sincerely,

Luc.