Re: configure-more.zip

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: configure-more.zip
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 08:12:53 +0200

> Cc: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:15:40 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Therefore, I suggest the following strategy for solving the -kb issue:
> > put a small C program into the nt subdirectory which would read
> > nt/configure.bat, nt/nmake.defs, and nt/makefile.w32-in in binary mode
> > and make sure they have the right line endings; if they don't, this
> > program would fail.  Then have this program invoked by "make bootstrap"
> > in the nt directory.
>
> This won't work. "make bootstrap" must be preceeded by "configure",
> and if configure.bat does not have the right line ends, then that will
> fail.

This situation worries me less: if configure.bat fails to run, the
user will know something is wrong with the batch file.  It's the
mysterious error message produced by Make that prompted my suggestion.
I've seen 2 Emacs maintainers trip on this just this last month.

But if you have a better idea, I'm open to suggestions.

(Btw, my testing indicates that cmd.exe from Windows 2K and XP
succeeds running a batch file even if its lines end in the Unix-style
single LF, and also if there's more than one CR character before the
newline.)