Re: fonts in carbon emacs

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: fonts in carbon emacs
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 21:15:42 +0900

> It works great when I'm switching with leim C-\, however when I try
> to switch group with Mac OS's native switch it draws some strange
> symbols. Is it possible to make emacs look at global group and
> switch leim one accordingly?

That's what I mentioned "tons of wrong glyphs" in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2005-06/msg00547.html.

Please refer to its followup messages to see how to customize a
fontset so that it may not introduce wrong glyphs.

> Another problem that persists is that when I try to customize
> default font (I want another background for font), I get in the same
> situation I was before? How can I change background for each font
> generated from fontset?

The reason is that a fontset associated to a face is reverted to a
font once the face is customized.  For example, "M-x describe-face RET
default RET" says

  Font or fontset: fontset-mac

just after startup.  But after evaluating "(set-face-attribute
'default nil :height 130)", it becomes

  Font or fontset: -apple-monaco-medium-r-normal--13-130-75-75-m-130-mac-roman

I'm not sure whether it's possible to preserve fontset after such
customization.  A workaround is to customize "fontset-default" as
follows:

  (fontset-add-mac-fonts "fontset-default" "monaco")

But it has some drawbacks that 1) It does harm to ETL font users, and
2) Font family for Central-European/Cyrillic fonts are not
synchronized with that for the ASCII (or mac-roman) font.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden