Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 20:21:37 +0100

On 1 Jul 2005, at 23:45, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

    I thought about this, but the thing is: the external bug reporting
facility will run the mail client and cause it to start a new message
    editor. If we changed sendmail.el, we would present users with the
internal editor first (for bug-reporting), then show them the same e-
    mail again in their external editor. That'd be confusing.

Maybe, but I think suitable messages could avoid the confusion.

What about using the APIs provided by the various systems to send e- mail? On Windows, it's MAPI - on Unix it's generally sendmail, and I don't know if there is a special one on the Mac.

Yet, one could augment compose-mail to start the external agent. But I assume such changes would have knock-on effects that would be best
    considered after the release. Right?

Not necessarily.  If it is a completely new path of control flow,
and it only gets used on the Mac, it won't break anything.

Who would use that?
People that use Emacs for e-mail will certainly want to set up their postfix system and not compose e-mails in Emacs and then editing it in an external e-mail client before it's sent off. Or are there packages that use sendmail a lot? Do people use Emacs for certain non- regular e-mail? Then, I would certainly see why this would make a lot of sense. And we should realize it as a general option, which could be on by default only on the Mac. I'd be happy to take a look at that.

Also, I posted some ideas regarding sendmail (and checking whether it's live) in my previous post.