Re: Completion with M-Tab for custom type 'directory

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Completion with M-Tab for custom type 'directory
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:24:42 +0200

Henrik Enberg wrote:

Then, in the correct state, I put the point  to the beginning of the
field. If I then type Esc Tab I get an "Wrong type argument: stringp,
nil".

Hmm, I get a huge list of symbols to complete against. Even at the
beginning of the field without deleting the initial "nil".

I compared with how completion works for C-x d. In this case the default directory is used when the string is empty. This is of course not meaningful the the custom widget.

I noticed another problem (bug?). The completion list contains all files, not only directories. This is meaningful for C-x d, but not for a directory widget. To summarize the problems:

1) On w32: You can not get completion when the widget input field for a 'directory type custom is empty. This perhaps has something to do with the absence of a definition of a root directory in dired too?

2) Completion for a 'directory type custom widget includes all files, not only directories. (Is this w32 specific?)

3) Alt-Tab is useless as a default since it is not available in window type environments. Esc-Tab is in this case available, but is not always the case. (This message has been repeated many times now and I really long for a resulotion of this.)