Re: Documentation not clear for the Lisp function set-variable

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Documentation not clear for the Lisp function set-variable
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 20:18:49 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   I think it is right to use the "real" name rather than the alias in
   the customization buffer, for variables as well as for faces.
   So please do make that change in customize-variable.

Actually, I forgot that, unlike customize-face, customize-variable
does not allow to enter variables that are defvarred or defvaraliased,
rather than defcustomed.  So the problem does not arise for variable
aliases.  The person trying the alias will see that it does not
complete.  After investigating the problem using `C-h v', he will see
that it is an alias and gets a link to customize the actual option.

Sincerely,

Luc.