Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:07:48 +0100

On 4 Jul 2005, at 07:16, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

But I think what we could do is have sendmail.el issue a 'sendmail -
    q' command, which flushes the mail queue if the mail system is
    running. If not, you get this:

That would work too.

However, I am wondering if there is some confusion.
If Postfix is running, why doesn't sendmail.el send out
mail thru Postfix?

OS X comes with Postfix installed, but not configured. Postfix is not running by default (security considerations). That means that sendmail is installed and accepts messages, but puts them in a queue. Because Postfix is not running, they never get sent off, and no bounce is generated either.