Re: Some error info from configure.bat please

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Some error info from configure.bat please
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:54:30 -0400

[ As a long time zsh user, I'm biased of course. ]

>> >  (the "**" feature alone is something to kill for)

Agreed.  Eshell has it also, BTW.

>> Could you please describe it briefly?

> "fgrep STRING /foo/bar/**/*.c" will look for the named string in all
> *.c files in /foo/bar and in all its subdirectories, recursively (and
> is much faster than "fgrep -R STRING /foo/bar/**/* --include='*.c'"
> you will need without the ** feature).

It's not just speed.  In many cases you can use find|xargs to get a similar
result, but there are cases where he ** thingy is difficult to emulate with
other tools.  One example I've used releatedly is

      for f in **/CVS/Root; do ... done

if you havedirectories named "CVS" that don't have a "Root" fine in them,
the above code is difficult to simulate with find.

        Stefan