Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 17:03:30 +0100

On 4 Jul 2005, at 16:16, Joakim Verona wrote:

If mailing doesnt work, emacs could try posting the bug report through
a web form.

I thought about something like that - actually without a web form, but with a CGI script that takes the input via the URL library and forwards it to the normal email address. That would be dead simple to implement.

I did it via the standard mail client because

a)
The drawback would be that there would have to be a webserver running
a mailer script, that would have to be high uptime, and maybe could be
abused.

.. which would have to be installed, even though we can effectively prevent abuse.

b)
the reports sent through the form are not guaranteed to contain a decent e-mail return address, which is pretty important for follow-up questions. If sent through the e-mail client on the user's machine, there will be a correct return address.