w32: addpm.exe -> usethis.exe?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: w32: addpm.exe -> usethis.exe?
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:16:02 +0200

A rather long time ago I rewrote addpm.exe and renamed it to usethis.exe. I made two important changes:

1) It adds/changes emacs_dir to HKCU if HKLM can not be used.

2) No icon is added to Program Manager any more. In my opinion Emacs should be run as a server on w32 and that icon starts a standalone Emacs without any server capabilities.

The last point may need some explanation. If I get it right Emacs is often started first as a standalone application and then gnuserv or emacsserver are started later. That is in my opinion not the best way to do it. Instead I believe that gnuclient or emacsclient should start Emacs and tell it to start gnuserv/emacsserver if needed.

Doing it that way makes it possible to implement shortcuts to Emacs (ie gnuclient) on all places where you can do so in w32. You can also this way easily use Emacs as an edit server for other apps that allow you to do so.

So the shortcut/icon in Program Manager should point to gnuclient/emacsclient instead and should be added when those are added.

BTW, I doubt that emacsserver/client will be ready for w32 before release. Does anyone have any updates on this? There is a version of gnuserver/client that we can use instead however.

The source for usethis.exe can be found at http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/build/.