Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 13:37:12 -0400

>>> As described a while ago, report-emacs-bug doesn't work on Mac OS
>>> X (unless the user chooses to activate postfix).  It swallows bug
>>> reports  without indicating an error.
>>>

>> Have you reported it as a bug to Apple?

> No I haven't.
> I'm not sure what the correct behavior would be.

Doesn't matter.  The bug is simple: in a default config of OS X, if you do
"sendmail address@hidden <somemail" the mail is lost without any error message.

> What happens on other Unix systems when you shut down postfix and
> run sendmail?

Doesn't matter either.

> So the desired behavior would probably be that sendmail gives a warning to
> stderr when it is called, right?

A warning or an error, yes: If Postfix is not configured, it should not
accept any mail.

> So in the end, the bug report might actually go to the Postfix maintainers,
> not to Apple - because it's all functionality implemented by Postfix.

It's for Apple to make this call.  Just like if you use an Debian package of
Emacs, you should send your bug-reports to Debian, not here.

        Stefan