Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:52:41 +0100

On 4 Jul 2005, at 19:35, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Who cares? All the end user sees is that, without having messed with the system in any way, her email didn't get to the destination and she didn't
receive a bounce either.  I.e. it's "lost".

Whether a hacker/guru can recover the email 2 years later or not is beside
the point.

I agree 100%. That's why it would be good to get a warning from sendmail.

Just like on a GNU/Linux system with postfix shut down (is that so? can't
check this lacking root access on our systems.)

Could be, but that doesn't make the behavior correct on Mac OS X.

Well, it's probably not good behavior on any system.

OK, that's a good idea. I'll report this. But don't expect this to be
changed any time soon.

Of course not. But I just get really annoyed when people ask us to work around bugs in proprietary systems without even bothering to try and get
those bugs fixed.

Fine I've reported the issue.
Don't forget that this is not just in a propriety system.

1. This occurs in Postfix, which is not proprietary software.
2. This occurs in Darwin, which is open source.
3. This will occur in any GNU/Linux system where the administrator has stopped the postfix daemon, which may be a reasonable thing to do when locking down a system.

I'll post any reply I get from Apple to this list.