Re: w32: addpm.exe -> usethis.exe?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: w32: addpm.exe -> usethis.exe?
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 00:53:05 +0200

On 7/4/05, Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1) It adds/changes emacs_dir to HKCU if HKLM can not be used.

That seems reasonable.

> 2) No icon is added to Program Manager any more.

And that is GOOD! I have a configure script that runs configure.bat
and then a Perl script to take the addpm.exe line from my makefile.
Reason? Running

  (nmake install) 2>&1 | tee boot.log

often hangs exactly at the addpm call.

> In my opinion Emacs
> should be run as a server on w32 and that icon starts a standalone Emacs
> without any server capabilities.

I agree with that too.

> There is a version of
> gnuserver/client that we can use instead however.

Which version? I have an older one that I found somewhere, but it is
AFAICS not maintained anymore.

> The source for usethis.exe can be found at
> http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/build/.

BTW, I've seen you distribute a binary Emacs for W32, and I've seen a
README that says:

    The image libraries can be fetched from gnuwin32.org. Below is a list
    of the needed dll-files and where you can find them:
    [...]
    The image libraries dll-files are included in the Emacs bin directory.

It is OK to distribute binary builds of the image libraries and not to
distribute directly the sources in your webpage?

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u