Re: AltGr finger twisters documented?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: AltGr finger twisters documented?
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:00:05 +0200

After an exchange of comments on the Emacs wiki, that left me wondering...

Is there any place in the Emacs documentation that explains that you
*can* type C-M-@, C-@, C-M-\, C-\ and C-] on an AltGr-challenged
keyboard, *provided* that you use the right order, i.e., AltGr, right
Ctrl, and then the modified key?

For example, on my Spanish keyboard:

   C-M-@ => AltGr RCtrl Alt 2
   C-@   => AltGr RCtrl 2
   C-M-\ => AltGr RCtrl Alt º
   C-\   => AltGr RCtrl º
   C-]   => AltGr RCtrl +

It is non-obvious: it doesn't work if you press other key before
AltGr, or if you use left control.

I suspect this is keyboard dependent. I do C-\ all the time with both right and left control, and I press Ctrl-AltGr-+ (hold down all three keys at the same time, which I press first or last does not matter) on my swedish keyboard (and add Alt to that, i.e. Alt- Ctrl- AltGr-+, gets me M-C-\, but it is not very ergonomic). The trick above does not work for me at all.

What OS I you using? Which version of Emacs?

Well, GNU/Linux in many flavors, FreeBSD, Solaris, MacOSX (but there I have no idea how to get C-\). A very recent (a few days old) CVS Emacs.

    Jan D.