Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system does not work as expected

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: w32-pass-lwindow-to-system does not work as expected
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 06:43:00 +0200

> Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:54:22 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> I would not suggest using it if I believed that.

I cannot do anything about your beliefs.  I wrote about the caveats
because my experience taught me that low-level keyboard hooks bring
maintenance headaches in the long run.

For example, even the simple hook you posted could conceivably raise
some issues, if the user did some tweaking of her keyboard operation
wrt the lwindow key (e.g., the scan code map can be modified via the
registry).

On more general grounds, when Emacs users on other systems complain
about trouble with key assignments, they are told to use system tools
to reassign keys; we never try to solve such problems in Emacs.  Why
do that for MS-Windows?  Shouldn't we simply advise users to use some
key remapping tool if they want this feature so badly?