Re: theming

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: theming
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:31:04 +0200

> I agree to whole message. I have written EmacsW32 just for this above.

Much as I like the idea of prepackaged distributions for normal,
non-developer users, the problem I see with many "big" Emacs projects
(like TinyTools, CEDET, JDEE, etc) is that they are much of an
all-or-nothing. You install one of them, you are no longer in Emacs,
but someone's pet idea of what Emacs should look like (yeah, even if
they have a ton or two of customization options). Nothing bat per se,
but I already have my pet Emacs and we've learnt to live with each
other, thanks ;-)

> It would be better if this idea was merged into Emacs. I think however
> that it has to coexist with themes in some way and perhaps themes can be
> the underlying structure for this.

Being themeable is necessary. Being non-monolithic is fundamental, IMO.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u