Re: theming

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: theming
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 00:36:07 -0400

    Much as I like the idea of prepackaged distributions for normal,
    non-developer users, the problem I see with many "big" Emacs projects
    (like TinyTools, CEDET, JDEE, etc) is that they are much of an
    all-or-nothing. You install one of them, you are no longer in Emacs,
    but someone's pet idea of what Emacs should look like

That is right.  In order to add a feature usefully to Emacs, it has
to be done in a modular way, so that people can use it with their own
choice of other features.  If you implement five new modular features,
it is easy to add them all to Emacs.  But if you implement your own
environment that provides the same five features in a monolithic way,
we would probably never be able to add any of them, and in the long
run it will just be a fork.