Re: theming

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: theming
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 13:38:12 +0100

On 7 Jul 2005, at 15:20, David Kastrup wrote:

Making this process a bit easier, making it easier for the user to
undo some of these new 'defaults'  by defining groups of
customizations in themes would certainly be desirable.

In Aquamacs, this is already the case for many customizations.
For some other stuff - for example the pre-installed fontsets and changed menus - this is not possible. That's where we usually tell people to use a standard Carbon Emacs.

2. However, over the last two or three months or so, Aquamacs has
   come to do much more than that. It blatantly redefines and advises
   functions, something which can only be undone by means of extra
   customization variables that are checked by the new functions.

Those customization variables can have a default value that lets them
cause different behavior only when under the Aquamacs theme.

So I don't see this as a principal problem once themes work properly.

Yes, but what about re-definitions of existing functions?
Defadvice them and put a conditional in the defadvice?

It is a competing fork in the manner that users are not able to make
it work like standard Emacs with minimal effort.  That means that the
Aquamacs distribution is only useful for people that don't prefer
standard Emacs behavior.

Indeed, we explicitly target people who aren't happy with the standard behavior. That's the whole point.

That's not a good state of affairs.

Hmm, I for my part like variety.

If Aquamacs were
theme-controlled, one could easily fold the whole kaboodle back into
the main core, and thus people, say, used to Aquamacs could get the
same behavior under Windows, and there would be no reason to
distribute competing binaries for MacOSX.

Well, that would be even better and a long-term goal.
When themes work reliably and are well documented, one could work on that.

However, as long as the (IMHO sensible) patches that Seiji Zenitani and I have provided (which only pertain to the OS X version) don't find their way into the core or get formally rejected with reasons given, there's little one can do to turn Aquamacs an add-on package.