Re: Emacs and Squiggles as filenames

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs and Squiggles as filenames
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 00:21:12 -0400

    If there exists a file named "~" in my ~/tmp/, I see funny things:

    (expand-file-name (file-name-nondirectory "~/tmp/~") "~/tmp"), returns

    =>/home/deego instead of /home/deego/tmp/~

That is a painful one.  I am not sure what we could do to fix it,
other than make expand-file-name not handle ~.  And I think that would
cause much worse problems, and fixing them would require a major
redesign that would break lots of Lisp code.

It is possible to refer to that file by writing `./~'.
So that expression would work right if we made file-name-nondirectory
return "./~".  But I think that would break other things too.