How to avoid insert anything without switching to read only

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: How to avoid insert anything without switching to read only
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 10:43:01 +0200

In viper-mode nothing should be inserted if you are in vi mode. It works for all keys that are assigned commands (like i, o, a etc), but it does not work for national characters. Those are not assigned to anything in viper. I suggested to the maintainer that this should be fixed by advising `self-insert'. Those national characters are bound to self-insert according to help (C-h c). Michael was very helpful and added this.

However to my surprise it does not work. I have tried to find out why. It seems like the adise is not called. I suspect that it has something to do with key-translation-map where it looks like those characters are translated with `encoded-kbd-self-insert-ccl' if I understand this correctly.

How can this be handled?