Re: theming (was: Sorting of directories in dired)

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: theming (was: Sorting of directories in dired)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:19:48 -0400

    My notion of a theme is not a named collection of configuration
    settings.  Rather it is an expression of high-level intent:

Aren't themes generally named collections of settings?
I thought that's what "theme" means.

    - as much as possible behave like Window / MacOS / *nix

Maybe that could be implemented as named collections of settings.
Or maybe it needs to be something more complex, like CUA mode.
We can certainly have things like CUA mode, but that doesn't
say anything about what themes should do.

    - underline clickable links

That doesn't need to be a named collection of settings
because it is just one setting.

    - give me single frame behavior vs something like Drew's OneOnOne

I'm not sure what that means, but if Emacs supports it, it would
be a single option, not a theme.