Re: [h-e-w] Novice questions about quiting

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Novice questions about quiting
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:36:06 +0200

Brian van den Broek wrote:

The main query:
I am having a problem quiting emacs. If I have open modified buffers, and wish to quit without saving I can quit with C-x C-c and answering the minibuffer prompts accordingly. However, if I try Menu->File->Exit Emacs or clicking the close button on the right of the title bar, I run into problems.

I get a pop-up dialog asking me if I want to save (one of) the modified buffers. If I click on no, I bounce right back to the buffer I was viewing, and I do not exit emacs. It seems to me that instead I ought get the dialog for the next unsaved and modified buffer, and exit emacs when I've said no to all such dialog prompts.

Am I misunderstanding the intended behaviour? Or, is there something I need to add to my .emacs file to enable what I think ought happen? Any advice would be appreciated.

I did search this list archive for both "quit" and "quiting", but nothing of relevance came up. Attempts to google did not help -- windows being an emacs term as well as the name of my OS seemed to get in the way :-)

This seems to be a bug in CVS Emacs.