Re: grep.el regexp

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: grep.el regexp
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 03:04:41 +0300

>     I've collected a few examples in the file attached below.  The section
>     `grep ???' contains examples deduced from regexps in `grep-regexp-alist'.
>     Could someone recognize what grep produces them?
>
> The first three seem to follow the GNU spec for column numbers
> and ranges.  I don't know whether GNU grep can output these,
> but in principle it could do so.

With `-b' option GNU grep can output the byte offset of the beginning
of the matching line counting from the beginning of the file, e.g.:

emacs-2:1205:50533:inserts `xyzxyzxyzxyz' in the current buffer.

This format resembles the output of column numbers, but it is not.
It misleads grep.el into interpreting it as a column number.

AFAIK, currently GNU grep doesn't support column number output.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/