Re: How to avoid insert anything without switching to read only

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: How to avoid insert anything without switching to read only
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:09:51 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks, but I am not able to understand how to apply any of your
> suggestions in a case like this. The problem is that the keyboard keys
> to change are all those that are outside a set of those defined to
> useful things (say a-z for simplicity). All other keys should be
> defined to do nothing. There are plenty of potential keys (65K). It
> does not seem to be possible to handle them all separately.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what's the problem here.

If those characters are NOT bound to any command, how do they get
inserted in a buffer by viper?  If viper calls read-event or read-char
directly to read those characters, it must interpret them too...

Otherwise, viper must rely on the normal read event loop to
find the command bound to those keys.  Let's say they are
all bound to self-insert-unusual-char-command.

Then you can remap that command to a viper equivalent, or
even ignore them directly, directly in the relevant viper
key map, e.g.

(define-key viper-xyz-map [remap self-insert-unusual-char-command]
            'viper-ignore-char)