Re: custom-declare-variable

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: custom-declare-variable
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:53:34 -0400

    First of all, the docstring appears to contain a falsehood.  From the
    comment (and from the actual code), it appears that DEFAULT is not
    _currently_ stored in the standard theme.  But the docstring clearly
    seems to indicate an intent to store it in the standard theme and make
    standard-value obsolete, which according to the comment, requires a
    rewrite of defvar and various other primitives.

    This seems to be completely crazy.  There would not appear to be
    anything wrong with standard-value.

I agree.  I think it would be best to eliminate the `standard' theme
(which currently would normally be empty) and stick with the idea
that all enabled themes override the standard values.

      If not, should
    we not delete the above comment and remove the (apparently) false
    claims from the above second paragraph of the docstring:

      DEFAULT is stored in SYMBOL's property `standard-value'.  At the
      same time, SYMBOL's property `force-value' is set to nil, as the value
      is no longer rogue.

I did that (more or less).  Thanks.