longlines.el problems...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: longlines.el problems...
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 01:41:39 +0200

I just tried out longlines-mode with AUCTeX/preview-latex.  Cough,
cough.  One problem that it has is that it does not preserve markers
around spaces/newlines.

Emacs' fill modes have got this right by now, in contrast.  The main
trick is that if one replaces one kind of space with another one, that
one _first_ adds the new space, then deletes the old space.  Here is
how to do this in one case (unless I am mistaken):

But it looks like quite a number of other passages might need similar
fixes.

Another thing worth mentioning is that in the presence of images, font
locking with different font sizes, proportional fonts and similar, the
wrapped column should certainly be the visual column instead of
anything else.  This means, for example, that it is completely useless
to insert a newline in the middle of an image: it only makes sense to
replace such spaces that have a different visual column.
Unfortunately, current-column does not take images into account.