Re: obsolete comment in tool-bar.el

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: obsolete comment in tool-bar.el
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:52:23 -0400

    Unfortunately, I can not reinstate the use of
    `custom-reevaluate-setting' for tooltip-mode in startup.el.  Unless we
    would be willing to load tooltip.el even on systems where it makes no
    sense, we just have to live with the code duplication here.

How do you reach this conclusion?  I do not understand.

    Here is the required patch to easy-mmode.el.  Stefan opposed a similar
    patch earlier, but the objections he then stated (that loading a file
    would have side effects) do not apply to custom-initialize-safe-default.

It seems ok to me, but the doc string should mention :initialize
and explain that the only legitimate value to use with it is
custom-initialize-safe-default, and when that should be used.