Re: obsolete comment in tool-bar.el

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: obsolete comment in tool-bar.el
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:05:01 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   Please install the doc string changes.

Actually, after rechecking things today, it appears that my changes to
the define-minor-mode code concerning the :initialize keyword were not
necessary.  I tested things yesterday and that testing seemed to show
that the changes were necessary, but I must have done something wrong
while testing yesterday.

This also means that the :set and :type keywords are _not_ hardwired and
can be overridden by specifying explicit :set and :type keywords.  Thus,
after rechecking, my proposed new docstring appears to be inaccurate.

Since my code changes actually resulted in no changes in behavior,
they would seem to require no doc changes at all.

There is the question of whether my changes should be reverted.  They
do not result in any change in behavior whatsoever, but they avoid
confusion for somebody who expands the macro to see what the
define-minor-mode form he wrote really does (as anybody who uses
define-minor-mode should do).  So it seems that my changes actually
were positive, even though not really necessary.  It is a little bit
inconsistent to do this for :initialize and not for :set and :type,
but since :initialize will be used more often, it might make sense.

So I believe it probably is better not to revert my changes to the
define-minor-mode code.  But since they do not produce a change in
behavior, they do not seem to call for a doc change.

Sincerely,

Luc.