Re: derived-mode-run-hooks

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: derived-mode-run-hooks
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 01:06:55 -0400

> It's OK to delete, or at least comment out, the function
> `derived-mode-run-hooks' from derived.el? It has been unused for
> almost five years:

> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/Attic/derived.el.diff?r1=1.20&r2=1.21

> It still exists in XEmacs' derived.el, but it is not part of the
> derived.el API, just an internal function.

It's part of the internal API used by code that has been byte-compiled with
Emacs-20 (the macro-expansion of define-derived-mode used
derived-mode-run-hooks back then).

So removing it may prevent running .elc files compiled with Emacs-20.
I'd expect that several people have .elc files compiled with Emacs-20 for
the purpose of making them work with both Emacs-20 and Emacs-21, so unless
you have a good reason to get rid of that function (and the various other
similar ones in derived.el), I'd recommend we keep it a bit longer.
After all, derived.el is normally not loaded by end-users anyway so its size
doesn't matter that much.

        Stefan