Re: derived-mode-run-hooks

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: derived-mode-run-hooks
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:29:23 +0200

On 7/15/05, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

> So removing it may prevent running .elc files compiled with Emacs-20.
> I'd expect that several people have .elc files compiled with Emacs-20 for
> the purpose of making them work with both Emacs-20 and Emacs-21, so unless
> you have a good reason to get rid of that function (and the various other
> similar ones in derived.el), I'd recommend we keep it a bit longer.

OK, I'll revert the deletion.

And speaking of .elc compatibility... I have a little major mode
derived from emacs-lisp-mode via `define-derived-mode'. When I compile
it with 21.4 I can use it on 21.4 and 22.0.X; however, when I compile
it with 22.0.X it fails on 21.4 (it does not produce an error, but it
doesn't work either). I think the problem may be related to the use of
`delay-mode-hooks' on newer derived.el, but I'm not entirely sure.

However, the question is: should I expect for a 22.0.X .elc file to
work on 21.4? I would've assumed "not", but for this comment on
`define-derived-mode':

         ;; Run the hooks, if any.
         ;; Make the generated code work in older Emacs versions
         ;; that do not yet have run-mode-hooks.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u