Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:12:54 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>>Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>>

>>>Yes, nobody has done it yet and I believe there is no one working on
>>>it actively at the moment. I raised the issue to see if someone could
>>>do it.
>>>
>>>I have suggested that there might be too few developers on the w32
>>>side. In that sense it may actually be part of a strategy.
>>>

>>Oh nonsense.  How many developers are _assigned_ to ports of Emacs on
>>free operating systems?  How many are _assigned_ to ports on
>>proprietary Unix-like systems?
>>

> Sorry, I think you are misunderstanding me.

So how about actually saying what you mean?

> You make the same guess as I do. What should be allowed and what
> should not be allowed must be handled with care otherwise it will
> not make sense. Not doing that is just exercising power without
> saying so.

If you have a concrete complaint to make about anything in particular
that is not handled with care, feel free to do so.  But general
insinuations are completely useless.

> I personally find it quite disturbing that the policies do not allow
> for fetching for example paper size from within Emacs.

Nonsense.  If they are implemented as a general feature that would,
for example, consult LC_PAPER on Posix-compliant systems, there is
nothing speaking about doing this.

But there will be no Windows-only features.  If people want an Emacs
that is fully useful only on Windows, then they can create their own
fork instead of demand that their Winmacs be maintained and catered
for by free software developers.

> You can work around that, but in the end you have done far less
> useful work than if it was allowed from within Emacs.

It is not prohibited at all, as far as I can see.

>>But that does not change that things like porting emacsclient don't
>>happen by either magic or decree.
>
> I do not believe in either magic or decree ;-)

Fine, then what are you complaining about?