Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:28:19 -0400

> The solution is that somebody write a working emacsclient/server.
> Obviously, this someone is to be looked for among people actually
> using Windows.

Actually, I don't think so.  IIRC What we need for emacsclient/server to
work on Windows is to make it work over TCP sockets rather than only over
Unix sockets (because Windows supports TCL sockets but not Unix sockets).

A good approach could be something like: in server.el, use a TCP server
socket (on a non-specified port).  Once opened, check to see which port was
used.  Write the port and hostname together with a secret random string into
~/.emacs_server.  When a connection comes in, check that the first bytes
sent are exactly the same as the random string (authentication).

        Stefan