Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:13:57 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

I don't see that Emacs has an interface into the locale in general
which would be required for reading the papersize setting.  And the
usual way for GhostScript is just to look for "gs" in the exec path.
Since the process shell does that already, "gs" is usually used as the
default command.  There is no separate database to search for such
information.  That's what PATH is for.
Ghostscript is not installed that way on w32. It is not supposed to be find in the PATH. That is because the w32 "architecture" is different. You can only find Ghostscript through the registry (or searching the whole disk ;-)

So if one built a general interface into stuff like the paper size,
and then filled it with life also on the free systems, doing the same
on w32 would not violate any policies.

That would be very nice. The problem is however that until this is done Emacs is kind of a second class citizen that do not have access to things all other w32 programs has. And that makes for a bad impression. Am I right in assuming that the lack of this capability on for example GNU/Linux does not give such an impression?