Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:22:06 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:

Ghostscript is not installed that way on w32. It is not supposed to be
find in the PATH.

Why? It seems very inconvenient to require programs to find other
programs by searching for them manually in a "registry", rather than
using the PATH features that are built into the OS.
There are several reasons I think. One reason is that installing new programs should not change system overall behaviour.

A more important reason is that programs on w32 communicate differently than on GNU/Linux. The w32 way, COM (or what the current name for it is, it changes now and then), is rather similar to Corba on a conceptual level. Programs can call other programs through COM and get a result back. The Registry keeps track of the available COM components.

COM is designed as interfaces with version control so it gives a rather flexibel environment.

Whatever we think of that this is the w32 way and to integrate in the w32 environment as first class citizens this must be accepted.