Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:10:08 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Here's one plan to attack and solve this problem:

Step 1: Design a Lisp-level API for using the paper size.  This API
should be useful on all supported platforms.  If necessary, discuss
the design here and implement any corrections/suggestions.

Step 2: Implement the API support for the w32 port.  If that needs to
read the Registry, do that in w32-specific files.  (Jason already
said, and I agree, that this doesn't require a general-purpose
facility to read the Registry.  In fact, Emacs already does read the
Registry in several places without having such a GP facility.)

Step 3: Ask experts for other platforms to implement the same
functionality for their configurations.  Better yet, if you have
enough knowledge and/or help from those experts, implement it
yourself, as part of adding this new API.

If the functionality is useful, I don't see why this plan would fail
or be met with resistance.  Do you?

This is very good and I have hoped for this type of suggestions ever since I joined here.

I might disagree to whether there should be a general facility to reading the Registry, but that is a minor point right now. Just as I guess you and Jason think there is a possibility that such a facility is misused and w32 only solutions are developed. I believe however that they can easily be converted to cross platform solutions and that they might help in fact help GNU/Linux by pushing the needs for common access of certain things. (But I do not know GNU/Linux sufficiently well. This is just a guess and I would welcome corrections.)

Unfortunately I do not know how to do this on other platform. I will come back with a suggestion for an interface, if no one does suggest a posix style solution before me (which would be very nice!).