Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server - getting paper size
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:22:09 +0300

> Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:53:04 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> CC: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>
> In the case of Ghostscript it is actually quite complicated. I have code
> for finding Ghostscript in the file w32-regdat.el which is part of
> EmacsW32. This uses an external program to read the Registry. The actual
> Registry interface is in w32-reg-iface.el (also in EmacsW32).

Are you saying that w32-regdat.el's method of finding Ghostscript is
how other programs, like GSView, find it?  This is so ridiculously
complicated that it's simpler to tell the users "add the GS directory
to your PATH".

Note that the node "MS-DOS Printing" (which deals with Windows as well
as DOS problems) already advises to use a full absolute file name of
the Ghostscript executable in setting up ps-lpr-command.  Is this the
only place where a user would need to know the Ghostscript
installation directory?

> Finding GSview is in contrast very simple since it is in App Paths.

But we shouldn't need to launch GSview, should we?