Re: Line wrapping during redisplay

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Line wrapping during redisplay
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:52:24 -0400

    When the file is loaded into Emacs, you
    can use this function to turn into a longlines buffer, so you get the line
    wrapping functionality.

Could it do the reverse transformation automatically when writing a
file, too?  That would provide, in effect, the functionality of longlines
for a file of ordinary filled text.

    One thing that longlines.el is unlikely ever to accomplish is support for

What about this is hard?

It seems to me that all we need is to finish the TODO entry of writing
the variable-width equivalents of current-column and move-to-column.
They could be called current-pixel-column and move-to-pixel-column.
We need these anyway.  Given these, won't it be easy enough?