Re: Line wrapping during redisplay

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Line wrapping during redisplay
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:51:57 -0400

    It is no different from how continued lines are handled in the
    current code.  The only real difference is that continued lines
    break at spaces rather than at some arbitrary column which happens
    to be the width of the window.

That is true.  And this mode of continuation could be better in some
cases than the current one.

What I am saying is that this new mode of continuation doesn't do the
job that longlines is trying to do, and doesn't make the use of
one-line-per-paragaph a desirable mode of operation.

    I don't claim that the wrap-column functionality would replace any
    of the existing packages -- but it may be useful for some things...

It could be so.

    > Here's a peculiar idea.  Make it possible for an overlay to make a
    > space "appear" as a newline or vice versa.  The result is a change in
    > the apparent contents of the buffer, for display purposes and for some
    > commands.  But killing and yanking would not copy these overlays
    > (since they don't copy any overlays).

    Would it have the same problems with line movement being out of sync
    with what's displayed in the window...

The ideas is that most commands that examine the buffer contents would
see the result of the overlays.  So cursor motion commands would treat
the apparent newline as a real newline, and treat the apparent space
as a real space.  Only things that copy text (including kill and yank,
and file I/O) would ignore them.