Re: Problem with large buffers

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Problem with large buffers
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:51:32 -0400

    Emacs highlights the first "world!" that is about to replace, then in
    the echo area I see:

      "Error in menu-bar-update-hook: (error Variable binding depth exceeds
       max-specpdl-size)"

Can you provide a precise way to reproduce this problem?
Once able to reproduce it, I think we could fix it quickly.

You could also try putting a breakpoint at this call to Fsignal

  if (specpdl_size >= max_specpdl_size)
    {
      if (max_specpdl_size < 400)
        max_specpdl_size = 400;
      if (specpdl_size >= max_specpdl_size)
        Fsignal (Qerror,
                 Fcons (build_string ("Variable binding depth exceeds
max-specpdl-size"), Qnil));
    }
You could then use the GDB commands backtrace and xbacktrace,
and send us the output.