Re: Emacs and proxy on w32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Emacs and proxy on w32
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 00:01:14 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> I did not believe it was such a mess.

It's not a mess. Although it is theoretically possible to write
complicated autoproxy scripts that use a different proxy for different
hosts, in practice all anyone ever uses is a single proxy and a list
of no-proxy hosts.

> While looking more at this I found that MS actually are providing an
> API (WinHttpGetProxyForUrl) for this now on XP and W2k.

It is not an OS API, it is an Internet Explorer API, and the first
parameter is a handle to an open "INTERNET_SESSION", created by
another function in the same API, so if you start down that road
you'll end up having to continue, and that would restrict the
networking capabilities of Emacs to what is supported by IE. Not to
mention that IE is not Free, and thus unsuitable to build Free
software on top of.