Re: A few questions about desktop.el

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: A few questions about desktop.el
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:27:56 +0200

Regarding this code in `desktop-save':

>   (setq default-directory dirname)
>   (when (file-exists-p filename) (delete-file filename))
>   (let ((coding-system-for-write 'emacs-mule))
>     (write-region (point-min) (point-max) filename nil 'nomessage))))

No one, not even the original author (I've just asked him), knows for
sure whether the `delete-file' call is needed or why, and I know for
certain it can produce some unexpected results in Windows
("unexpected" including data loss, meaning losing the .emacs.desktop
file).

So, if no one objects, in a few days I'm gonna delete that line. As
we're not even in pretesting, we'll have plenty of time to know
whether it causes problems in some environment or other, and
reintroduce it (conditional to non-Windows, or not) if needed.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u