Re: A few questions about desktop.el

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: A few questions about desktop.el
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:11:20 +0200

On 7/23/05, Richard M. Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> However, making that possible would probably require
> another way to customize desktop.el.  It would be useful to add
> a suitable mechanism to desktop.el that would make this possible
> in a clean way.

I can add that mechanism, but I'm not sure it is worth it. There are a
bunch of variables that other packages could possibly want to modify:

  desktop-globals-to-save
  desktop-globals-to-clear
 desktop-clear-preserve-buffers-regexp
 desktop-clear-preserve-buffers
 desktop-locals-to-save
 desktop-buffers-not-to-save
 desktop-files-not-to-save
 desktop-modes-not-to-save
 desktop-buffer-mode-handlers
 desktop-minor-mode-table

and the various hooks. I see no clear pattern about what would other
packages want to modify; *-locals-to-save and *-minor-mode-table are
perhaps the most useful, but other than that everything's game. I
don't see what do we gain by adding functions to manipulate these vars
instead of doing it directly.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u