Re: emacs & MAXPATHLEN

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs & MAXPATHLEN
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:54:05 -0400

You're right that xsmfns.c needs to be fixed too.  I overlooked that
one.

    +#ifdef _GNU_SOURCE

The purpose of _GNU_SOURCE is to control the behavior of
system header files.  User programs should not test it, only set it.
We could have config test for the existence of get_current_dir_name.

+      buf = malloc(strlen(pwd)+1);
+      if(!buf)
+        fatal ("`malloc' failed in init_buffer\n");

Our convention for whitespace is

+      buf = malloc (strlen (pwd)+1);
+      if (!buf)
+        fatal ("`malloc' failed in init_buffer\n");

However, the main thing is that you haven't got rid of the
arbitrary limit.  You allocate the buffer dynamically,
but you don't make it bigger if the data doesn't fit.