Re: address@hidden: Info on define-minor-mode -:init-valueor :initial-va

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Info on define-minor-mode -:init-valueor :initial-value?]
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:46:00 -0500 (CDT)

Drew Adams wrote:

   What about my suggestion of including this bit of code automatically, as
   part of the expansion of define-minor-mode - perhaps by generating an
   eval-after-load or something? Is that feasible? If so, would there be a
   problem with such a hack?

That is actually exactly what the define-minor-mode code used to do,
before Stefan started changing it.  (Stefan kept the eval-after-load,
but made it do different things).

However, using eval-after-load has many negative side effects, as I
pointed out before.

If one wants to have define-minor-mode enable a minor mode
automatically if :init-value is non-nil, then I believe that the best
way to do that would be to make define-minor-mode support alternative
:initialize functions like custom-initialize-set by changing the order
in which define-minor-mode defines things.  (As I suggested earlier.)

Sincerely,

Luc.